The DC Health Benefit Exchange (HBX) Authority established three new Advisory Committees to advise the Board on the role of Producers (Brokers & Agents), Plan Management, and Consumer Assistance and Outreach. The Committees will help ensure stakeholder participation in all of the work being conducted to set up the new competitive health insurance marketplace for the District.
The three Advisory Committees will supplement the work of the Standing Advisory Board and Policy Working Groups.
- The Producers Advisory Committee will advise on how to best use the experience and skills of insurance brokers and agents to help people choose coverage. This will include issues around compensation and appointment, and other issues as requested by the Executive Board or Authority staff.
- The Plan Management Advisory Committee will examine issues related to qualified health plan (QHP) requirements, certification processes, and enrollment.
- The Consumer Assistance and Outreach Advisory Committee will focus on the design and implementation of the Navigator and Consumer Assistance programs to help educate residents and enroll them.
“I am extremely pleased that these talented community leaders will be joining our efforts to bring affordable, high-quality health coverage to the residents of the District of Columbia,” said Dr. Mohammad Akhter, chair of the DC Health Benefit Exchange Authority. “We are building this market from the ground up and stakeholder involvement is critical to our success.”
The members of the three committees, which were recommended by the HBX Standing Advisory Board, represent a balanced mix of consumers, insurers, employers, brokers, and health care providers. They were selected for their professional qualifications and skills, expert knowledge and community involvement to provide substantive input on the issues the Board must address to successfully build the District's Health Benefits Exchange.
The appointees to the Committees are as follows:
Producer (Brokers & Agents) Advisory Committee
- Lee Bethel (Committee Chairperson) - President of Comprehensive Benefit Services, Inc.
- David Chandra - Senior Policy Analyst, The Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Stephanie Cohen - Co-Founder and CEO of NFP Golden & Cohen, LLC; Co-Founder of Maryland Women Ambassadors for Business
- Robert Poli - Executive VP and CEO for Insurance Marketing Center (IMC)
- Robert John Clark - Senior Manager with PricewaterhouseCoopers’ Health Research Institute (HRI)
- Margaret Flickinger - Managing Principal and CEO of Keller Benefits Services, Inc.
- David Smith - Vice President of Sales and Account Management, United Healthcare
- Antoinette “Toni” Young - Founder and Executive Director or the Community Education Group (CEG), formerly known as the National Women and HIV/AIDS Project
- David Notari - National Head of Distribution and Channel management, for Small Group and Individual, Aetna
- Wes Rodriguez Rivers - Policy Analyst, DC Fiscal Policy Institute
- Sanford Walters - President of Kelly Administrative Services for Kelly & Associates Insurance Group
Plan Management Advisory Committee
- Dania A. Palanker (Committee Chairperson) - Associate Director of Healthcare Policy, National Women’s Law Center
- Louisa L. Tavakoli - Vice President of Mandates Strategy, Delivery Oversight, CareFirst Blue Cross Blue Shield.
- Casey A. Hedden - Regional Sales Manager, Mid Atlantic, DentaQuest, Inc.
- Claire McAndrew - Senior Health Policy Analyst, Families USA
- Tanya M. Robinson - Director of Strategic Market Initiatives and Senior Manager of Product Development, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan
- Jeffrey M. Album - Vice President of Public and Government Affairs, Delta Dental of California
- John Fleig - Health Care Reform Lead for Northeast Region, COO Mid Atlantic Health Plan, United Healthcare
- Goulda A. Downer - Principal Investigator and Project Director, AIDS Education and Training Center/National Multicultural Center (AETC/NMC), Howard University
- Margaret M. Flickinger - Managing Principal and CEO, Keller Benefits Services, Inc.
- Michael Hickey - Government Relations Counsel, MetLife
- An additional appointee will be made to the Plan Management Advisory Committee.
Consumer Assistance and Outreach Advisory Committee
The Consumer Assistance and Outreach Advisory Committee will focus on the design and implementation of the Navigator and Consumer Assistance programs to help educate residents and enroll them.
Committee members for FY 17 – 19 are:
- Kimberly L. Fox - (Committee Chairperson) - Director of Direct Community Benefit Investments, Finance and Compliance, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States Region (KFHP)
- Marilyn Schindler Koss - President, Koss Benefits Financial & Insurance Services
- Alma A. Alfaro-Laska - Membership Coordinator, The Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Erin M. Loubier - Director of Public Benefits, Whitman-Walker Health (WWH) Legal Services Program, and Senior Managing Attorney