The DC Health Benefit Exchange (HBX) Authority established three new Advisory Committees to advise the Board on the role of Producers (Brokers & Agents), Plan Management, and Consumer Assistance and Outreach. The Committees will help ensure stakeholder participation in all of the work being conducted to set up the new competitive health insurance marketplace for the District.
The three Advisory Committees will supplement the work of the Standing Advisory Board and Policy Working Groups.
- The Producers Advisory Committee will advise on how to best use the experience and skills of insurance brokers and agents to help people choose coverage. This will include issues around compensation and appointment, and other issues as requested by the Executive Board or Authority staff.
- The Plan Management Advisory Committee will examine issues related to qualified health plan (QHP) requirements, certification processes, and enrollment.
- The Consumer Assistance and Outreach Advisory Committee will focus on the design and implementation of the Navigator and Consumer Assistance programs to help educate residents and enroll them.
“I am extremely pleased that these talented community leaders will be joining our efforts to bring affordable, high-quality health coverage to the residents of the District of Columbia,” said Diane Lewis, chair of the DC Health Benefit Exchange Authority.
The members of the three committees, which were recommended by the HBX Standing Advisory Board, represent a balanced mix of consumers, insurers, employers, brokers, and health care providers. They were selected for their professional qualifications and skills, expert knowledge and community involvement to provide substantive input on the issues the Board must address to successfully build the District's Health Benefits Exchange.
The appointees to the Committees are as follows:
Producer (Brokers & Agents) Advisory Committee
- Lee Bethel, Comprehensive Benefit Services Inc. (Chair)
- Janet Trautwein, National Association of Health Underwriters (Vice Chair)
- Yodit Abebe, Community of Hope
- Stephanie Cohen, Golden & Cohen
- Ben D’Avanzo, Asian & Pacific Islander American Health Forum
- Margarita Dilone, Crystal Insurance Group Inc.
- Cheryl Fish-Parcham, Families USA
- Ileana Jarrin, Crawford Advisors
- Sheebani Patel, Kaiser Permanente
- Nabila Rahman, CareFirst
- Tamara Pearsall, Employee Benefits Corporation of America
Plan Management Advisory Committee (New membership coming soon)
Consumer Assistance and Outreach Advisory Committee
The Consumer Assistance and Outreach Advisory Committee will focus on the design and implementation of the Navigator and Consumer Assistance programs to help educate residents and enroll them.
Committee members for FY 17 – 19 are:
- Kimberly L. Fox - (Committee Chairperson) - Director of Direct Community Benefit Investments, Finance and Compliance, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of the Mid-Atlantic States Region (KFHP)
- Marilyn Schindler Koss - President, Koss Benefits Financial & Insurance Services
- Alma A. Alfaro-Laska - Membership Coordinator, The Greater Washington Hispanic Chamber of Commerce
- Erin M. Loubier - Director of Public Benefits, Whitman-Walker Health (WWH) Legal Services Program, and Senior Managing Attorney